Legal assistant interview questions
This Legal Assistant interview profile brings together a snapshot of what to look for in candidates with a balanced sample of suitable interview questions.
Jump to section:
Legal assistants typically work in law offices and firms. They have both an administrative and legal role. Apart from duties such as maintaining files, they also conduct research and draft legal documents.
A degree in law isn’t always required. Vocational training in legal studies or a couple years of experience may serve as a substitute. Certification is also a good way to screen candidates.
During the interview, try to assess their office administration abilities. Their communication skills and attention to detail should also be evaluated. Look for their knowledge of legal office procedures, terminology and protocols. Ideally, they should have solid knowledge of research methods and the court system as well as case management software.
Operational and Situational questions
- If you had to support more than one lawyers, how would you decide which tasks to complete first?
- If an attorney asked you to conduct research for a case, where would you start and what methodology would you follow?
- How fast can you type?
- What is your experience with billing?
- What software programs do you use at work?
- How would you rate your phone communication skills?
- What is your experience with case management software (e.g. HoudiniESQ)?
- How would you rate your skills in taking minutes?
- What’s your experience in drafting depositions/summonses/subpoenas etc.?
- Do you know what a demurrer is?
- How would you prepare a case file?
- What legal field are you most interested in?
- What motivates you to excel as legal assistant?
- How do you handle stress?
- Tell me about something you did to improve efficiency in the office
- Did you ever have to work with colleagues to complete a project under a tight deadline?
- Have you dealt with confidential information before? What did you do to protect it?
- Have you ever had to deal with a demanding client?
- Recall a time you had to communicate with a client or legal representative on behalf of your boss
- Have you ever had to explain a complicated legal concept or procedure to a client?