Logical Reasoning test practice
Directions: The questions in this section are based on the reasoning given in brief statements or passages. It is possible that for some questions there is more than one answer. However, you are to choose the best answer; that is, the response that most accurately and completely answers the question. You should not make assumptions that are by commonsense standards implausible, superfluous, or incompatible with the passage. After you have chosen the best answer, blacken the corresponding space on your answer sheet.
1. Nutritionist: Obesity is becoming a very serious problem in this country, and we must actively pursue a means of combating it. I have recently conducted a 12-week weight loss study to see which is the best method for obese adults to lose weight. My study shows that the consumption of a healthy, balanced diet and the incorporation of exercise were highly successful. All patients who participated in my study lost weight by eating the recommended diet and by adding a little exercise each day.
Which of the following statements, if true, most seriously undermines the statement above?
- The nutritionist's income is subsidized by a government agency committed to encouraging people to lose weight by adding daily exercise.
- All of the patients had a very similar physical makeup and metabolic rate, two significant factors that affect the ability to lose weight.
- The nutritionist has been unable to come to an agreement with a colleague on what constitutes a healthy diet.
- All of the nutritionist's patients incorporated exactly the same form of exercise to their daily routine.
- There were only eighty patients who participated in the nutritionist's weight loss study.