Business Analyst Sample Interview questions
The Business Analyst job description may vary from one company to another.
The job requirements of a person filling a business analyst position depend on the business nature of a given company.
Therefore, each Business Analyst job interview can be completely different.
Note: a Business Analyst is sometimes referred to as a System Analyst or Engineers Analysts or IT business analyst.
This article provides samples of job interview questions for a business analyst position.
In general, the business analyst job description is:
- Effectively translate business needs to applications and operations.
- Challenge cross company units and provide the requirements for the R&D team.
- Use cases, surveys/scenarios analysis, and workflow analysis, evaluating information, focal point for internal and external customers, define users’ needs and convert to business cases.
The skills requirements for a business analyst are:
- Decision making
- Conflict resolution
- Presentation skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Interpersonal communication skills
- Analytical thinking and a negotiator
Sample Business Analyst Interview Questions
- Describe your responsibilities as a business analyst in your last job.
- What are the BI, Business Intelligence, reporting tools you use for a given project. Describe the project, the BI tool/s and the report extracted.
- How do you select which BI tool to implement? How do you decide on the report-frequency, update-frequency and user-needs based on the objectives you want to
- achieve for that report? Refer to BI tools such as – Cognos Discoverer, Business Objects and Crystal reports etc.
- Can you list the desired skills needed to perform effectively as a Business Analyst?
- What types of modeling requirements are used in the business applications of the analyst?
- If two companies are merging, explain which tasks you would implement and how, to ensure a successful union?
- Have you been responsible for assigning tasks to testers? How were you required to integrate the results found? How do you coordinate these responsibilities with the team and your management?
- Can you explain the term “push back” in relation to business users? What this means to you?
- When working on a project, at what point would the requirements of a Traceability Matrix be implemented and for what purpose?
- For process testing, can you explain the role of the Business Analyst?
- When working with specific document requirements, can you explain or define the steps to create Use Cases?
- At what point of a project is the Use Case system complete? What are the next steps in the project phase?
Some other technical questions that may be asked during the job interview include:
Technical terms and Technical questions
Some technical terms that may be used by the interviewer to verify your knowledge and competencies would be:
- UML modeling
- GAP analysis
- SDLC methodologies
- Traceability Matrix
- RUP, Rational Unified Process, implementation.
- UI Designs and UI Design Patterns
- System Design Document (SDD)
- Requirement Management Tool, Requirements Modeling
- Use Case and Test Case
- Risk Management
- Business plan
- Data mapping
- Black box testing and White box testing
- Push Back from Business Users
- Waterfall Method and Prototyping Model and their hybrid
- Interface / Integration mapping
- Functional requirements: FSD(Functional Spec document) or FRS/MRD
- End user support and user acceptance testing (UAT)
- Validation of the requirements
- Determine – ROI, cash flow, break even and fixed/variable costs and sale price